WELCOME TO
YEONCHEON

Beautiful, pleasant and
pure Yeoncheon

History

Yeoncheongun's History
Year Age Transition Process
300,000 years ago The Paleolithic Age  
BC 18 King Onjo of Baekje Belonged to the Baekje region after the
foundation of Baekje.
AD 396 Gwanggaeto the Great of Goguryeo Belonged to the Goguryeo region due to the
southward expansion policy of Gwanggaeto the Great. Called Gongmokdalhyun.
The first historical record.
AD 553 The 14th year of the reign of King Jinheung of Shilla Belonged to the Shilla region after King Jinheung of Shilla occupied the Hangang River basin.
AD 757 The 16th year of the reign of King Gyeongdeok of Shilla The name of the county was changed into Gongseonghyeon.
AD 940 The 23rd year of the reign of the first king of Goryeo The name of the county was changed into Jangju.
1018 The 9th year of the reign of King Hyeonjong Belonged to Dongju-gun (Cheolwon)
1069 The 23rd year of the reign of King Munjong of Goryeo Incorporated Seungryeong, Sakryeong, Majeon, and Jeokseong.
Yeoncheon-gun was incorporated into Gaeseongbu and belonged to Gyeonggi.
1310 The first year of the reign of King Chungseon of Goryeo Jangju was renamed Yeoncheon or Yeonju.
Oct. 1413 The 13th year of the reign of King Taejong of Joseon YeoncheonHyeongam was installed.
Sep. 1906 The 11th year of the reign of Emperor Gojong Gwanin-myeon of Cheolwon-gun was incorporated into Yeoncheon-gun.
Mar. 1914   >Majeon-myeon and Jeokseong-myeon, most of Sakyoung-gun, and Yeonggeun-myeon of Yangju-gun were incorporated into Yeoncheon-gun.
Nov. 1945   Jeokseong-myeon, the whole area of Nam-myeon, Baekhak-myeon,
and part of Jeongok-myeon were incorporated into Paju-gun according to No.22 of the law of military government.
Oct. 1954   Administrative authority was recovered on Nov.17,1954
according to Act on Recovered District Temporary Administrative Action by Law No.350.
Jan. 1963   >Paju-gun Jeokseong-myeon Neulmok-ri was incorporated into Jeongok-myeon, Samhwa-ri
into Misan-myeon, and Gangwon-do Cheolwon-gun Sinseo-myeon into Yeoncheon-gun according to Law No.1178.
Apr. 1965   Baekhak-myeon Wondang branch office was installed according to District Ordinance No.111
May 1979   Yeoncheon-myeon grew to the status of a eup according to Presidential Decree No. 9409.
Feb. 1983   The whole area of Gwanin-myeon was incorporated
into Pocheon-gun, Pocheon-gun Cheongsan-myeon Choseong-ri, Daejeon-ri,
Jangtan-ri, Gungpyeong-ri and Baekui-ri into Yeoncheon-gun according to
Presidential Decree No. 11027.
May 1985   Yeoncheon-gun Yeoncheon-eup Chatan 2-ri was
divided into Chatan 2 and 4-ri, Gunnam-myeon Samgeo-ri into Samgeo 1 and 2,
Okgye 1-ri into Okgye 1 and 3-ri, and Namgye-ri into Namgye 1 and 2-ri
according to District Ordinance No. 1001.
Sep. 1985   Yeoncheon-gun Jung-myeon Hoengsan-ri was recovered to Haengjeong-ri according to District Ordinance No. 1019.
Oct. 1985   Jeongok-myeon grew to the status of a eup according
to Presidential Decree No. 11772.
Jan. 1987   Misan-myeon Seokjang-ri was incorporated into Baekhak-myeonaccording to Presidential Decree No. 12007.
Jan. 1989   Pocheon-gun Gwanin-myeon Bugok-ri was incorporated into Yeoncheon-eup according to Presidential Decree No. 12557.
Apr. 1989   Baekhak-myeon Wondang branch office was raised
to Jangnam-myeon according to District Ordinance No. 2026 and organized into
2-eup and 8-myeon as it is now.
Aug. 1998   Yeoncheon-gun Baekhak-myeon Duhyeon-ri and
Tonggu-ri were recovered into Hangjeong-ri according to District Ordinance No. 2418.